THE DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH
The Department of French was started in 1959 on a part-time basis in order to provide students with the basic knowledge of a foreign language. The department became full time in 1968 to keep in pace with the growing demand for French as a second language. At first, emphasis was given to developing written skills of the students and then with the onset of autonomy in 1999, the department started focusing on complete language skills-both oral and written. Today, the department has a strength of nearly 500 students (both day and evening), under the guidance of 4 staff members.