DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
The Department of Physics was established in the year 1948, the year of inception of the College. The department in its infancy offered physics to the intermediate students and later to the Pre University Class, and as an ancillary subject for B.Sc. Chemistry students. In 1978 the department was upgraded offering Physics as Major to the degree students and as an allied to the students of the Mathematics and Chemistry Majors.
The Department maintained a high academic record right through; the pass percentage never falling below 80. Almost every year the department bagged a couple of University Ranks. Four Staff Members of the Department are Ph.D holders with specialization in diverse areas of Physics.
In the year 2004, the department got upgraded to a postgraduate department offering M.Sc degree in Physics in the self-finance stream. The department is now upgraded to research department by offering M.Phil. program from the academic year 2009-2010.
The Department of Physics marches forward with the commitment to achieve goals and objectives of the college, with the Mission to Sensitize young women to their rights and place in society and thereby attain the vision of our Founder “Economic and social equity for women”.