National Service Scheme (NSS)
The College NSS has three units under the University of Madras. 300 volunteers from the undergraduate programmes actively participate in various social service activities. The rogramme officers for 2014-2015 were Dr. R. Rajalakshmi, Dr. P. Padmini & Dr. Prabhavathi.
NSS volunteers actively participated in rallies, walks, walkathons, workshops and programmes organised by various governmental and non governmental agencies. They participated in several competitions organised by city colleges and won prizes. Volunteers visited homes like Sevallaya, Kaakkum Karangal and Nalmanam.
- A feather in our cap was when Dr. P. Padmini was nominated by the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor as a member to the NSS Advisory Committee of Madras University.
- On 20th November, 50 NSS volunteers of our college got Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam best volunteer award.
- Lavanya of II B.Sc. Maths got selected and represented the college in the Republic Day parade held at Chennai.
The following activities were carried out in 2014-2015:
-1 day workshop on Child Care Development on17th July,
-Breastfeeding Awareness on 6th of August 2014
-A street play performance by our volunteers during the celebration of Women Equality Day organised by WIPS(Women in Public Sector) of IOCL in the celebration of “Women’s Equality Day” on August 26th.
-A human chain was held outside the College condemning the acid attack on girls
-Awareness was created to spread the importance of cleanliness, Coastal cleaning and campus cleaning. This was continued on October 2nd with Southern Railways involved in cleaning the Chindhadaripet Railway Station.
-World Elders’ Day was celebrated on 4th Oct. 2014 with Governor Mr. Rosaiya as the Chief Guest.
-On 7th January 2015, a free eye care camp was conducted at Sriram Colony at Alwarpet with Rajan Eye Care Hospitals.
-3rd March massive Blood Donation Camp was conducted in which 147 girls donated blood (350 ml each)
-167 students registered for organ donation and more than 200 for eye donation.
- 11th November: “Vaasippathai Nesippom”.
- 1st December: AIDS awareness.
- 6th December: Organ Donation Awareness Programme with Bharathi Scouts.
- 7th December: participation in the world record creating event, forming huge human flag.
Many more such activities, rallies and awareness campaigns were conducted in the course of the year 2014-2015